Easy to make your own.
- 2 leeks, trimmed and finely chopped
- 2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1cm (½in) dice
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, cut into 1cm (½in) dice
- 1 garlic bulb, sliced in half crossways
- 100ml (3½ fl oz) dry white wine
- 1 fresh thyme sprig
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 star anise
- 1 tsp pink peppercorns
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- Pinch of salt
- Place all the ingredients in a large pan and cover with 1.75 litres (3 pints) cold water. Cover with a lid and bring to a simmer, then remove the lid and cook for another 30 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- -Either set aside to marinate for 2 days in a cool place, or if you’re short of time, strain through a sieve. Taste – if you find the flavour isn’t full enough, return to the pan and reduce until you are happy with it. Leave to cool completely and transfer to a plastic jug with a lid and store in the fridge until needed. Use as required.
- Cook Ahead: This will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze in 600ml (1 pint) cartons and defrost when you need it.
More by Neven Maguire:
- The Today Show: Neven Maguire's Vietnamese Chicken Salad
- Vanilla Ice Cream: Neven Maguire style
- Caramelised Pork Belly, Neven Maguire, Today show