A great accompaniment.
- 1 tsp softened butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 150ml (1/4 pint) white wine
- 2 tsp tomato purée
- Large pinch of saffron, soaked in 1 tbsp warm water
- 50g (2oz) sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 300ml (1/2 pint) vegetable (see link below) or fish stock (see link below)
- 150ml (1/4 pint) cream
- 150ml (1/4 pint) milk
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes, stirring, until softened but not coloured. Stir in the wine, tomato purée and saffron mixture. Simmer on a medium heat for about 5 minutes to reduce by half, then add the sun-dried tomatoes and stock. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and milk and simmer for another 8-10 minutes, until reduced by half and thickened. Blitz with a hand blender or food processor, then pass through a fine sieve into a clean pan, squeezing the pulp dry with the back of a spoon and discarding. Season to taste, then return to a pan, cover and set aside until needed. Keep warm and use as required.
- Cook Ahead: This will keep for up to 1 week in the fridge in a rigid plastic container. It can also be frozen.
More by Neven Maguire:
- The Today Show: Neven Maguire's Vietnamese Chicken Salad
- Vanilla Ice Cream: Neven Maguire style
- Caramelised Pork Belly, Neven Maguire, Today show