- 750g of leg of lamb or lamb shank (cut into 1½-inch pieces)
- 2 tblsp mustard or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt, or to your taste
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1-2 whole green chillies, or to your taste
- 1 tblsp plain masala (cumin and coriander powder)
- 5-6 cloves garlic, crushed or grated
- 1 tblsp crushed or grated ginger
- 1 tsp garam masala
- handful of chopped spring onion
- handful of chopped fresh coriander
- Heat a heavy based pot and add oil, along with lamb pieces, turmeric, salt, onion, tomatoes, green chillies, plain masala and garlic. Stir well, so every lamb piece is coated with the spices and turmeric.
- Cover and cook in a medium heat for about 40-45 minutes but make sure to stir now and then to avoid burning. If necessary, add about ½ cup of hot water and keep cooking with the lid on.
- Towards the end of cooking - after 40-45 minutes - meat around the bone should be a bit loose.
- Add hot water to get the desired consistency of the curry.
- Finish the dish by stirring ginger, garam masala, spring onion and fresh coriander. Transfer into a serving dish and serve hot with fluffy rice or naan.