- 6 - 8 butcher style sausages
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tins chopped tomato
- 1 tblsp worcestershire sauce
- 150 ml chicken stock, warmed
- 1 tsp fresh herbs (parsley/thyme or oregano)
- 1tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp sunflower oil
- salt & pepper to season
- 6 – 8 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 50 g butter
- 100 ml milk
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and just cover with water. Bring to the boil and cook for 20 minutes until the potatoes are softened. Drain to remove excess water. Mash the potatoes and add some butter, milk and seasoning. Season and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat a heavy based saucepan with a little oil and caramelize the sausages until they are golden brown on all sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Then into the same saucepan, add in the onion, garlic, mushroom carrots and sweat gently until softened. Pour in the chicken stock and chopped tomatoes and allow the mixture to come to the boil.
- Sprinkle in the chilli powder, parsley and Worcestershire sauce, then return the sausages to the pan, season with some pepper.
- Simmer gently for 10 -15 minutes and serve immediately with some mashed potatoes.
Use standard breakfast sausages if preferred.