- For the Pork Belly:
- 2 tblsp rapeseed oil
- 1.5kg (3lb) pork belly, boned and rolled and tied
- 2 carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1.2 litres (2 pints) beef stock (see link below)
- 600ml (1 pint) red wine
- 600ml (1 pint) freshly pressed apple juice
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp softened butter
- 2 tblsp runny honey
- 2 tblsp dark soy sauce
- For the Pork Fillet and Sausages:
- 4 tblsp sundried tomato pesto (see link below)
- 350g (12oz) pork fillet, well trimmed
- 8-10 smoked bacon rashers, rinds removed and very thinly sliced
- 1 tblsp rapeseed oil
- 1 tsp softened butter
- 4 pork and leek sausages
- Carrot purée, to serve (see link below)
- Apple gel, to garnish (see link below)
- Apple chutney, to garnish (see link below)
- Honey and clove sauce, to serve (see link below)
- Smoked bacon foam, to garnish (see link below)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/gas mark 4).
- To prepare the pork belly, heat 1 tablespoon of the rapeseed oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the pork belly and brown all over, turning with tongs. Add the carrots, onion and garlic and cook for another 5 minutes, until golden brown.
- Place the pork belly and vegetables in a casserole dish with a lid and pour in the stock, wine and apple juice. Add the herbs and season to taste, then cover with foil and the lid. Roast for 3 hours, until the pork is meltingly tender.
- When the pork belly is cooked, leave it to cool, then remove and cut off the string. Wrap tightly in a double sheet of tin foil, twisting the ends to form a good sausage shape. Place in the fridge overnight to firm up.
- To prepare the pork fillet, smear the pesto all over the fillet, then wrap it in the smoked bacon. If it’s not keeping together properly, roll it tightly in clingfilm. Leave to infuse overnight in the fridge.
- The next day, preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/gas mark 4). Cut the wrapped pork fillet into 4 portions and then carefully remove the clingfilm before cooking.
- Heat a large ovenproof frying pan over a medium heat and add the oil and butter. Add the pork fillet portions and cook for 2-3 minutes, until golden, turning once. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the sausages to the same pan and cook for 5 minutes, until lightly golden, then return the pork fillet to the pan and transfer to the oven. Roast for 8-10 minutes, until the pork portions are cooked through and the sausages are tender and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and leave to rest for 5 minutes in a warm place, then trim off the ends of the sausages to neaten.
- Meanwhile, cut the braised pork belly into 4x2cm (3/4in) slices, trimming off the edges if necessary. Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and the butter. Add in the pieces of pork belly, skin side down, and cook for 1 minute on each side, until light golden. Drizzle over the honey and soy sauce, reduce the heat and simmer gently for 6-8 minutes, until caramelised and completely warmed through, turning and basting regularly.
- To serve, place the carrot purée on each warmed plate and add a piece of caramelised pork belly, wrapped pork fillet and pork and leek sausage. Garnish each plate with the apple gel, apple chutney, honey and clove sauce and smoked bacon foam.