Great as a gift too!
- 900g (2lb) cooking apples
- 450g (1lb) dessert apples
- 225g (8oz) onions, diced
- 225g (8oz) sultanas
- 225g (8oz) light brown sugar
- 225ml (8fl oz) cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp freshly grated root ginger
- Peel, core and chop the apples and place into a large preserving pan.
- Add the onions, sultanas, brown sugar, cider vinegar, salt, mixed spice, cloves and ginger.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until the chutney has nicely reduced and all of the fruit is completely tender.
- Remove the chutney from the heat and leave to cool a little, then pack into warm, sterilised jars.
- Cover with a wax disc and seal when hot.
- Once opened, keep it in the fridge and use as required within a couple of weeks.
- Cook Ahead: This chutney can be kept in a cool dark place for up to 1 year as long as the jars have been correctly sterilised.