- 500 g minced beef
- 6 sprigs of flat leaf parsley finely chopped 100g breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp chopped red chilli
- 2 large cloves of garlic crushed
- Firstly making the actual burger. I am using mince beef not the leanest as the burger will be to dry anything from 10% to 20% fat content is good.
- To the mince add the chopped onion,crushed garlic,chilli,pepper and chopped parsley.throw in an egg and handful of breadcrumbs to bind. If gluten free, try a bit of potato flour!
- Get your hands in and mix really well. Now for the shaping.
- Make them into rounds and squash making sure that they have a good flat surface. They with shrink and fatten during cooking so a spatula is a handy way for pattering them back down again!
- Before you cook them it's best to chill them for minimum of an hour to rest them and firm the meat.before cooking sprinkle burgers with a little sea salt, then place them gently into a hot non stick frying pan for around 4 mins on either side. Then finish in the oven 160c gas mark 5 for 10 mins.
Ali says: Now what to put with the burger!
I am using local Cork produce:
UMMERA smoked bacon
BAKESTONE onion marmalade
ARBUTUS sourdough rolls lightly toasted
Along with vine tomatoes,a bit of rocket,crispy onions,gherkins and slaw and oven baked salt and vinegar potatoes as chips!
Have fun and go mad with inventing! :-)
NB if you are veggie then no problem swap the mince meat for a large portobello mushroom oven baked with herbs...Delicious!