This is a classic Italian salad that enlivens pieces of stale-ish bread with the juice of sweet tomatoes and a rich dressing of balsamic vinegar and olive oil. The inclusion of some readily available fresh herbs helps to give this classic a real lift and original twist.
- 100 ml olive oil
- 35 ml balsamic vinegar
- 4 thick slices of stale bread roughly torn
- 500 g mixed selection of tomatoes, roughly chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- a small bunch of basil
- handful of flat leaf parsley
- sea salt and ground black pepper
- handful of fresh rocket or a mix of salad leaves
- Combine the oil and vinegar in a jam jar or small bowl and season the dressing to taste. Tear the bread into pieces roughly the same size as the chopped tomatoes and put in a large bowl with the tomatoes, onion and dressing. Mix all the ingredients so that everything is mingled together. Leave to sit for about an hour at room temperature for the flavours to blend and the bread to soak up the juices.
- Just before serving, check the seasoning again, then tear up the basil, parsley and rocket leaves and add these to the salad. Give it a good stir and serve.