Caramel pain perdu
Pain perdu directly translated means 'lost bread'. Pain perdu is just like French toast. Dipped in a mixture of egg and milk and then fried in butter but instead of being served for breakfast it makes an amazing dessert. What a great way to give reclaim some stale bread. For me it is one of my favourite sweet treats. So simple but so tasty. When you try it you will never think you are simply just eating bread and ice cream. But believe me..its good! Sweet, moist but with a crunchy caramel coating.
- 2 thick cut slices of brioche
- 1 egg
- 50 g sugar
- 50 g milk
- a drop of vanilla essence
- 2 tblsp caster sugar
- a knob of butter
- vanilla ice cream to serve
- Remove the crusts from the bread, portioning each slice into two. Whisk together the sugar, milk, vanilla and egg.
- Using a dry pan on a medium heat add 2 tablespoons of sugar. Allow the sugar to caramelise to a light golden colour. Add a tsp of butter and stir into the melted sugar.
- Dip each portion of brioche into the egg mix and add to the caramelised sugar. Cook until golden on all four sides.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.