A perfect make-ahead dessert just like Italian mamma used to make... Creamy layers wrapped together with coffee soaked ladyfinger biscuits and dark and white shavings of chocolate - it can't be beat!
- 4 large free range eggs
- 120g of caster sugar
- 500g of mascarpone
- 1 tsp good quality vanilla extract
- 250g savoiardi di fonni or ladyfinger biscuits
- 300g of best quality dark chocolate, in large thick shavings
- 150g of white chocolate, in large thick shavings
- 350ml of espresso
- splash of vin santo or Marsala
- cocoa powder to dust
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until light and frothy. Mix in the mascarpone and vanilla until combined and set aside.
- In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until white and stiff. Add a large spoonful of the beaten egg whites to the mascarpone and mix through. Add the rest of the egg whites and fold through gently.
- Spread a little of the mascarpone mixture across the base of of a trifle dish and then arrange the savoiardi di fonni across the base. Soak the biscuits in espresso and a swig of vin santo.
- Carefully spread a layer of the marscarpone mixture and sprinkle over a little of the dark chocolate shavings.
- Repeat with the rest of the ingredients ending with a final layer of mascarpone mix.
- Dust with a little cocoa powder and finish with a final garnish of dark and white chocolate shavings.
More by Donal Skehan:
- Donal Skehan's Creme Brulee Doughnuts
- Butterscotch Pudding: One for the grown ups!
- Treacle Beef Ribs, Cheesy Polenta: Donal Skehan