Fancy an alternative to traditional Christmas Fruit cake? Why not try a Red Velvet Cake. This Siúcra recipe creates a luxurious cake layered with delicious cream cheese icing. A must have on every festive dinner table!
- 350 g siúcra granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 210 g plain flour
- 5 g bicarbonate of soda
- 1 g salt
- 20 g cocoa powder
- vanilla essence to flavour
- 15 ml white wine vinegar
- 100 ml liquid margarine
- 250 ml sour milk
- 45 ml red caramel colouring
- Ingredients for icing:
- 60 g natural philadelphia cream cheese, light if preferred
- 30 ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 250 g siúcra icing sugar
- chocolate pralines
- Whisk together the sugar and egg until light and fluffy. Combine the dry ingredients and stir into the mixture with the white wine vinegar, margarine and sour milk. Add the colouring and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into a greased, floured springform tin about 25 cm in diameter. Bake in the centre of the oven at 175°C for about 40 minutes. Leave the cake to cool in the cake tin for a few minutes, turn out onto a rack to cool completely.
- Whisk together the cream cheese, lemon juice and icing sugar. Divide the cake into three layers and spread icing on two of them. Place the two with icing on the bottom, and the one without icing on the top. Cover the entire cake with icing. To finish, decorate with the pralines.