A delicious shredded duck salad from Domini Kemp as seen on the Today Show.
- 12 legs of duck confit (available in most good delis or butchers)
- 2 heads of chinese cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 bunches of spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, de-seeded and finely sliced,
- 2 ripe mangoes, peeled and sliced
- bunch of coriander, chopped
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- seeds from 4 pomegranates
- tsp of sumac
- 2 tblsp sesame oil
- 100 ml olive oil
- 50 ml soy sauce (use tamari if cooking for coeliacs)
- 2 tblsp horseradish sauce
- 2 tblsp runny honey
- 4 small cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 knob ginger, grated
- Prepare the duck confit as per the instructions; this usually involves placing the trays in a low oven until the fat has melted and the legs can be removed easily (if you like, keep some of the fat for roast spuds – the best kind).
- Gently remove the skin from the duck, then place the skin on baking parchment on a tray, sprinkle each piece lightly with a pinch of sumac and cook in a hot oven (200 deg. C) until crisp – think of it as the classy version of pork scratchings. Meanwhile, flake the meat carefully off the leg and thigh bones. On a large, flat plate or shallow bowl, toss the duck with the lettuce and dressing. You may want to add some of the pomegranate juice to loosen up the dressing. Arrange and scatter the rest of the ingredients on the platter and let everyone dig in.
More by Domini Kemp:
- Rhubarb Clafoutis: Domini Kemp, Today show
- Fish Goujons the Domini Kemp way on Today
- Domini Kemp's Irish Stew