This is definitely not an everyday breakfast, but for special occasions it makes a wonderful celebration breakfast, perfect for Christmas morning.
- 2 large eggs
- 60ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Nutella, for filling 4 large slices of brioche
- 1 tblsp softened butter
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- For the Sweet Berry Sauce:
- 100g frozen berries
- 1 tblsp caster sugar
- To make the Sweet Berry Sauce, place the berries and caster sugar in a small saucepan with 50ml of water. Bring the mixture to a steady simmer and cook until the berries are soft. Blitz with a hand-held blender or mash with a fork.
- In a large flat dish, whisk together the eggs, milk and vanilla extract. Spread the Nutella on each slice of brioche and then make two sandwiches.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat until it is foaming. Soak the brioche sandwiches in the eggs and milk and place straight in the pan to cook for 2–3 minutes on either side until golden.
- Remove from the pan and slice in two. Place on two warmed serving plates and drizzle with the berry sauce and dust over the icing sugar.
More by Donal Skehan:
- Caramelised Banana American Pancakes
- Carrot and Courgette Cake with Rosemary and Orange Crème Fraîche
- Beer Batter Fish Tacos with Cherry Tomato Salsa