Try adding a good splash of dark rum or replacing the apple juice with cider for a mulled cider.
- 1 l cloudy apple juice
- 500ml water
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 6 whole star anise
- Highbank apple syrup, to taste
- 2 red-skinned apples
- Gently simmer the apple juice and water with the cinnamon sticks and star anise for 5-10 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave for 20 minutes to allow the flavours to infuse.
- Taste the apple mixture and sweeten with the syrup to taste. Cut the apples into quarters and remove the cores, then thinly slice and add to the apple juice mixture. Return to the hob and allow to warm through. Ladle into thick glass tumblers to serve.
More by Donal Skehan:
- Donal Skehan's Creme Brulee Doughnuts
- Butterscotch Pudding: One for the grown ups!
- Treacle Beef Ribs, Cheesy Polenta: Donal Skehan