Now this is how to do your Christmas brussel spouts to ensure that they're not left all alone, out in the cold. A lovely side dish from Catherine Fulvio.
- 8 tblsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 500 g brussels sprouts, trimmed, cut in half lengthwise
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 250 ml chicken stock
- 1 standard can butter (or cannellini) beans, drained
- 2 tblsp butter
- 125 g coarsely grated parmesan
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in frying pan. When it is just about to smoke, add half of the brussels sprouts. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until brown, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large saucepan.
- Heat 3 more tablespoons of oil in same frying pan. Repeat the cooking process with the remaining brussels sprouts and when ready, transfer the brussels sprouts to same saucepan.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil to frying pan. Increase the heat to high. Add the garlic and sauté until brown, stirring constantly, about 1 minute. Add to the brussels sprouts. Pour in the chicken stock and cook until the brussels sprouts are crisp-tender, stirring frequently.
- This should take about 3 minutes. Add the butter beans and butter; stir until butter melts and the stock is reduced to a glaze. This should take, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the cheese and serve.
More by Catherine Fulvio:
- A Day with Catherine Fulvio
- Pavlova: Summer Strawberries, Basil Drizzle
- Catherine Fulvio's Courgette, Feta and Chive Tart