Fish tacos are a Californian classic, taking inspiration from wonderful Mexican heat and spice. They make a truly different feast to serve for friends. If you don't want to fire up the barbecue, the fish can easily be cooked on a griddle pan.
- 1 tblsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 650g cod fillet
- 1 tblsp sunflower oil
- Sour cream, to serve
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 2 avocados, stoned and finely sliced
- Good handful of coriander leaves
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- ½ head of white cabbage, finely shredded
- Tabasco sauce
- Sea salt
- 12 x 15cm diameter corn tortillas, warmed through
- Coriander leaves, to serve
- For the Salsa
- 250g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tblsp extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- To make the salsa, mix together the ingredients in a serving bowl and set aside.
- Heat a barbecue or griddle pan to a medium-high heat.
- Combine the paprika, garlic powder, oregano, cayenne pepper and ground cumin in a bowl.
- Dust the fish fillet with the spice mix.
- Brush the grill with the oil and cook the fish for 4–5 minutes on either side until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, prepare the accompaniments for the fish by arranging the sour cream, lime wedges, avocado slices, coriander leaves, red onion and cabbage in serving bowls. Squeeze a little lime over the avocado and set everything aside on a large serving platter with a little bottle of Tabasco.
- Carefully remove the fish from the pan and break it apart with a fork. Place the flakes in a serving bowl and season with sea salt to taste. Sprinkle with coriander leaves.
- Add the warm tortillas to the serving platter and assemble little bits of everything in the tortillas. Wrap up and enjoy!
More by Donal Skehan:
- Carrot and Courgette Cake with Rosemary and Orange Crème Fraîche
- Beer Batter Fish Tacos with Cherry Tomato Salsa
- Bloody Mary Oyster Shooters and a Shallot Mignon