A simple twist of flavour that will give your rice an extra bit of oomph.
- 280 g basmati rice
- 650 ml cold water
- 4 strands of saffron, soaked in 3 tbsp water
- 1 cinnamon stick, bruised
- pinch of salt
- Rinse the rice three times in cold water, then soak for 10 minutes and drain.
- Place the rice and water into a medium saucepan. Add the saffron and its soaking water and the cinnamon stick.
- Cover the pan with a lid. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a low heat and cook for 8–10 minutes. Check a grain of rice for doneness.
- When it’s ready, remove the cinnamon stick. Fluff up the rice with a fork and season with a little salt.
More by Catherine Fulvio:
- Today: Catherine's Cider Chicken Casserole
- Mediterranean Monkfish with Pesto Trapanese
- Ballyknocken Daube of Wicklow Beef: Fulvio