A delicious potato dish, perfect for a big family meal.
- rapeseed oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 750 g sweet potatoes, 750g potatoes peeled and sliced to €2 coin thickness
- 1.5 l chicken stock
- freshly ground black pepper
- pinch nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4..
- Add a dash of Rapeseed oil to the pan. Add the onions and let them sweat over a medium heat for about 10 minutes, until nice and soft. Then add the garlic and cook gently for a further minute or two.
- Spread out one third of the potatoes in the gratin dish, season them generously with pepper & Nutmeg then add half the onions. Add another layer of potatoes, then the remaining onions, then a final layer of potatoes.
- Bring the stock up to a simmer. Pour warm stock over the potatoes - you want them to be only barely covered, so don't add it all if you don't need to.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes, then uncover and continue to bake until the potatoes are cooked - another 30-40 minutes until top of potatoes can brown. Serve piping hot.
More by Brian McDermott:
- Poached Hake and Veggie Broth with Vibrant Salsa
- Winter Beef and Stout Hot Pot with Black Pudding
- Healthy, Hearty Chicken Casserole