This recipe is all about big, bold flavours and is one of my absolute favourite summer dishes. It's perfect for the BBQ, but if the weather doesn't hold up, a griddle pan will do just fine. This is lovely on a plate, but if you wanted, you could toast up some tortilla wraps in the pan and then serve slices of the chicken with the salsa and a generous dollop of sour cream.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tblsp dried oregano
- 1 lime, zest grated and the fruit cut in half
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 tblsp sunflower oil
- 3 tblsp tequila
- For the Smoky Avocado Corn Salsa:
- 2 large corn on the cob
- 1 tblsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 2 large avocados, stoned and quartered
- 1 tblsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp smoky tabasco sauce
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- Good handful of coriander leaves
- Lime wedges, to serve
- Place the chicken on a sheet of baking parchment and spread each one with the garlic. Sprinkle over the cumin, chilli flakes, dried oregano and lime zest and season with sea salt and ground black pepper. Cover with another sheet of baking parchment and, using a rolling pin, bash the breasts until they are about 2cm thick.
- Place the breasts on a plate and pour over the sunflower oil, tequila and a good squeeze of lime juice. Turn to coat and then allow to marinate while you prepare the salsa. If you have time, place the breasts in a resealable bag with the sunflower oil, tequila and lime juice and leave them to sit for an hour in the fridge.
- Prepare the salsa by boiling the corn in a pan of water for 8–10 minutes until tender. Heat a large griddle pan over a high heat, brush the corn cobs with a little olive oil and place them on the griddle, turning when well charred. Then griddle the avocado quarters until you get nice char marks.
- While the corn and avocado cook, combine the olive oil, vinegar, Tabasco sauce, garlic and red onion in a bowl.
- Using a knife, slice the cooked corn kernels off the cobs and then toss in the bowl with the onion and dressing.
- Add the coriander and season with sea salt and ground black pepper.
- Brush the griddle pan with a little olive oil and add the chicken breasts along with the marinade. Cook for about 4 minutes on either side until the chicken is cooked through. Serve with a generous helping of the avocado and corn salsa and some lime wedges.
More by Donal Skehan:
- Donal Skehan's Creme Brulee Doughnuts
- Butterscotch Pudding: One for the grown ups!
- Treacle Beef Ribs, Cheesy Polenta: Donal Skehan