Rachel Allen's Mediterranean - inspired pear frangipane as featured on her show Rachel Allen's Everyday Kitchen
- 6 Ripe pears, peeled, cored and cut into roughly 2cm (3/4in) chunks
- icing sugar, for dusting
- For the frangipane:
- 175 g (6oz) butter, softened
- 250 g (9oz) caster sugar
- 6 eggs
- 250 g (9oz) ground almonds
- 20 x 30cm (8 x 12in) ovenproof dish
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F), Gas mark 4.
- First make the frangipane. Place the butter in a large bowl and beat until very soft. Add the sugar and continue to mix until soft and light, then beat in the eggs one by one. Finally, stir in the ground almonds. Alternatively, place the butter, sugar and eggs in a food processor and whiz to combine, then add ground almonds and whiz briefly until fully mixed in.
- Place the pears in the gratin dish, then spread the frangipane over the top and bake in the oven (not too close to the top or it may brown too quickly) for 40–50 minutes or until the frangipane is just set in the centre. The pears by this stage should be tender. Serve warm with a dusting of icing sugar and a little softly whipped cream.
More by Rachel Allen:
- Fennel, pink grapefruit and feta salad
- Chocolate Pear Tart: Rachel Allen Coastal Cooking
- Roast Goose, stuffing: Rachel's Coastal Cooking