Your own will taste all the sweeter!
- 500g Jus-Rol™ puff pastry ready rolled sheet, thawed
- 3 red onions, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 50g butter
- 1 tblsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tblsp caster sugar
- 3 thyme
- 4 tblsp tapenade
- 1 English goat's cheese crottin, sliced into 5 equal slices
- 30g walnuts, roughly chopped
- Beaten egg, to glaze
- Preheat oven to 200ºC (180ºC fan assisted oven)/400ºF/Gas 6.
- Melt the butter in a heavy based frying pan and gently sauté the onions until tender – this will take approximately 10 minutes. Stir in the vinegar, thyme leaves and sugar and allow the latter to melt. Season with freshly ground black pepper and allow to cool completely.
- Unroll the pastry sheet and cut into half across the length to give two rectangles, trim off edges using a sharp knife.
- Spread the tapenade over the pastry pieces leaving a border all round, then divide the cooled onion mixture between the two and spread evenly over the tapenade, again leaving a border.
- Finally, cut each cheese slice in half and arrange five pieces on each. Brush the border with beaten egg and bake for 12-15 minutes until pastry risen and golden and the cheese softened. Serve with a crisp winter salad.
Recipe courtesy of Jus Roll.
More by Eunice Power:
- Homemade Fish Fingers with Homemade Mushy Peas
- Lemon and Raspberry Tray Bake
- Frittata of Peas, Goats Cheese and Wild Garlic