Master this and you'll be much in demand!
- 500g Jus-Rol™ all butter puff pastry, thawed
- 175g granulated sugar
- 125ml water
- 6 medium dessert apples such as cox's
- 50g butter
- Tatin dish
- Rolling pin
- Preheat oven to 220ºC (200C fan assisted)/425ºF/Gas 7.
- Have ready a 20 cm/8" tatin dish or sandwich tin (not the loose bottomed kind).
- Roll out the pastry large enough to cut out a disc approximately 2 cm larger than the tin you will be using, place on a sheet of baking paper and put to chill.
- Gently heat together the sugar and water in a heavy pan until the sugar is dissolved, meanwhile grease the tin well with some of the butter and peel, core and thickly slice the apples.
- As soon as the caramel reaches a medium golden colour pour quickly over base of the tin – then arrange apple slices on top, dot with remaining butter. NB: Do not worry if the caramel sets at this stage.
- Slide pastry disc over apples, tucking in excess all round, prick top of pastry and bake for 25-30 minutes until pastry is risen and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and immediately, but carefully invert onto a larger plate. Serve warm or cold.
Recipe courtesy of Jus Roll.
More by Eunice Power:
- Brunch? Mix It Up with Turkish Eggs
- Eunice Power's Beetroot brownies: Say whaaat?!
- Traditional Irish Apple Tart: Today, Eunice Power