- 3–4 large potatoes, grated
- salt and black pepper
- 50 g (4 tbsp) butter
- 4–5 tbsp sunflower or rapeseed (canola) oil
- Preheat the oven to 140°C/275oF/gas mark 1.
- Place the grated potato onto a clean tea or dish towel. Squeeze the liquid from the potato by twisting the towel, then place the potato in a bowl and season with some salt and black pepper.
- Melt the butter and oil in a large frying pan set over a moderate heat.
- Take a small handful of the grated potato and make little patties with a diameter of 5–6cm (2–2. inches). Place each potato disc into the pan to cook for about 5–6 minutes on each side. When they are cooked they should be crisp and dry. Place the cooked rosti on a greased baking sheet in the oven to keep warm. Repeat this process until all the potato has been used.
Kevin says, "All you need for a decent rosti potato are firm potatoes, butter, seasoning and some oil to cook it in the pan until the edges are crisp and golden. If I’m feeling indulgent, I use duck or goose fat."