- 1 tblsp butter, plus a little extra
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 250g basmati rice, washed and drained
- 1 tblsp garam masala
- 1 heaped tsp turmeric
- 600ml chicken stock
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- 2 small smoked haddock fillets, skinned
- Small handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 3 soft-boiled eggs, shelled and halved
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Melt the butter in a high-sided saucepan over a medium heat until it is foaming and golden.
- Add the onion, reduce the heat and sweat gently for about 8 minutes until it has softened.
- Add the rice, garam masala and turmeric and cook gently, tossing until completely coated in the onion and butter for 2 minutes.
- Add the stock and stir through. Cover with a lid and allow to cook gently for 15 minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- About 5 minutes before the rice is cooked, stir in sea salt and ground black pepper as necessary and lay the haddock fillets over the top, dotting them with a little extra butter.
- Continue cooking with the lid on until the rice is tender, then gently fork the fish through the rice.
- Serve generous portions on warmed plates topped with parsley, soft boiled eggs and wedges of lemon.