A taste of the South - in more ways than one!
- Seasoning mix (1/4 tsp Cayenne, 3/4 tsp white pepper, 1 tsp sea salt, 1/4 tsp thyme, 1/2 tsp rubbed sage, 1/4 tsp dried basil, 1/2 tsp black pepper)
- 1 tblsp oil
- 200g monkfish fillet
- 200g raw medium shrimp
- 100g dried sausage
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper
- 2 sticks of celery, diced
- 120g diced fresh tomatoes
- 120g tomato sauce
- 200g long grain rice
- 450ml chicken stock
- 3 tblsp spring onion, green part
- 1 tblsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tblsp crushed garlic
- 1 tblsp chopped parsley
- Mix together the onion, celery and bell pepper, all cut around the same size.
- In a large pan heat the oil over medium heat, add the cut sausage, and cook until it just starts to brown.
- Add half the diced vegetables; cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the diced tomatoes and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato sauce and cook for another minute.
- Add the rice and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the stock, the remaining vegetables, seasoning mix, Worcestershire sauce and the garlic.
- Taste the broth for seasoning, particularly salt.
- Add the monkfish, stir well and put the pot in the preheated oven.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
- After 25 minutes stir in the raw shrimp, parsley and 2 tbsp of the green onions. Place back in the oven for an additional 5 minutes, or until the shrimp are cooked through.
- Garnish with the remaining spring onion.
More by Shane O'Sullivan:
- Ballinwillin Venison Salad with Potato, Baby Spinach, Roast Peppers and Creole Salsa
- Confit of Skeaghanore Duck Leg Cassoulet