- 8 traditional sausages of your choice from your local butcher
- 1 onion diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 apples
- 25 g flour
- 100 ml cider or apple juice
- 1 l chicken stock
- 1 small pumpkin
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 white of 1 leek
- 2 table spoons donegal rapeseed oil
- pinch of fresh ground black pepper
- 8 fresh leaves sage
- 3 sprigs thyme
- Preheat oven to 160°C
- Chop garlic, leek then finely dice onion and apples.
- Peel & dice the sweet potato and carrots.
- Heat casserole dish add the Rapeseed Oil and fry sausages until golden in colour. Remove the sausages and set them aside. To the casserole dish add onions, garlic, leek, carrots and sweat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 5 sage leaves and thyme together with the pumpkin & Sweet Potato.
- Now add flour and mix through followed by the Cider. Reduce cider slightly then add the stock. Add the chopped apples. Replace the sausages back in to casserole.
- Season with some black pepper. Transfer to oven for approx 30 - 40 minutes.
- Serve with chopped sage leaves
- Serve in a casserole dish family style in middle of table and let everyone help themselves.
Replace Pumpkin with Butternut Squash.
Also great with Red lentils.
Try serving this casserole inside a pumpkin for your Halloween celebrations.