A simple way of jazzing up the classic potato
- 500 g potatoes (or 4 potatoes), cut into chunks
- 4 tblsp double (heavy) cream
- 25 g butter
- salt and black pepper
- 4 tblsp snipped chives
- Place the potatoes in a saucepan of water and bring to the boil. Cook for 15–20 minutes until softened, then strain to remove excess water.
- In a small saucepan, heat the cream gently and add the butter, then pour over the potatoes.
- Mash the potatoes and season with a little salt and black pepper, then add the chives and, using a wooden spoon, incorporate them through the mash. Serve immediately.
Kevin says, "This is a very simple way of jazzing up a simple commodity such as mashed potato. You could substitute spring onions (scallions), whole-grain mustard or even some freshly grated horseradish for the chives."
More by Kevin Dundon:
- Salmon Fillet, Chili Pesto: Today, Kevin Dundon
- Indulgent Eggnog: What it is & how to make it!
- Kevin Dundon's Christmas Turkey: Today Show