Beautiful crispy spring rolls filled with duck, spring onion, carrot, coriander and plum sauce
- for the spring rolls
- 150 g (5oz) cooked duck meat, shredded
- 50 g (2oz) spring onions, trimmed and thinly shredded
- 3 tblsp plum sauce, plus extra to serve
- 100 g (31/2oz) grated carrot
- 2 tblsp chopped coriander
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 sheets of spring roll pastry (25cm/10in square)
- 150 ml (5fl oz) sunflower or rapeseed oil
- for the pak choi
- 500 g (1lb 2oz) pak choi
- 25 g (1oz) sesame seeds, toasted (see tip below)
- 15 ml (1/2fl oz) sesame oil
- In a bowl, mix together the shredded duck with the spring onions, carrot, coriander and plum sauce, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Lay a sheet of spring roll pastry flat on a board. Add a heaped tablespoon of the duck mixture to the pastry and spread out in a line parallel to the end closest to you, leaving a margin of about 3cm (11/4in) from the edge and a gap of about 5cm (2in) between each end of the mixture and the edge of the pastry on the other sides.
- Brush a little water on the bare edges of the pastry, then fold in the sides over the filling. Brush with a little water again, then roll up the pastry away from you, making sure you roll it up quite tightly. Repeat with the remaining mixture and pastry.
- Prepare the Pak Choi - remove the stems from the pak choi and cut them into lengths of a similar size (about 8cm/3in).
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Add the pak choi stems and cook for 1–2 minutes or until just tender, then stir in the leaves and drain immediately.
- Place in a serving dish, then sprinkle over the toasted sesame seeds and sesame oil.
- Place a large frying pan on a high heat and pour in the oil. When the oil is hot, add the spring rolls – or as many as will fit in comfortably in a single layer – and fry on all sides for 8–10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the pan and place on kitchen paper to drain, then repeat with any remaining spring rolls. Serve with Pak Choi and extra plum sauce on the side.