- 1.80 l (3 pints) well-flavoured chicken stock, well skimmed salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 225 g (8ozs) shredded, cooked or raw chicken
- tasty accompaniments
- 6 medium tomatoes, 5mm (1/4 inch) dice
- 2-3 ripe hass avocados, 5mm (1/4 inch) dice
- 2 medium red onion, 5mm (1/4 inch) dice
- 3 green serrano or jalapeno chillies, thinly sliced
- 3 limes
- 4-6 tablespoons of coriander leaves or coarsely chopped
- Put the chicken stock into a wide saucepan, bring to the boil. Taste and season, it should have a full rich flavour otherwise the soup with be bland and insipid.
- Add the shredded chicken – I sometimes use scraps from the chicken carcass from the stockpot but it could be raw or cooked chicken either brown or white meat. Cooked chicken just needs to be reheated in the broth. Raw white meat will take a few minutes to cook and brown meat a little longer. Poach it gently so it doesn’t toughen. Taste again and correct the seasoning.
- Ladle into soup bowls. Provide each guest with a side plate with some diced avocado, tomato, red onions, sliced green chilli, coriander leaves and a segment of fresh lime to add to their soup as they choose.