Recreate Rachel Allen's beautiful nutty quinoa salad by following her step by step guide
- 1 small butternut squash (about 500g/1lb 2oz), peeled, deseeded and cut into roughly 3cm
- 10 sprigs of thyme
- 50 ml (2fl oz) olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 50 g (2oz) whole almonds (with their skins on)
- 250 ml (9fl oz) water or vegetable or chicken stock
- 125 g (41/2oz) quinoa
- 100 g (31/2oz) feta cheese, crumbled into roughly 1cm (1/2in) chunks
- 4 tblsp chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°C), Gas mark 6.
- Place the butternut squash in a roasting tin and add the thyme sprigs and olive oil. Mix together, seasoning with salt and pepper, then place in the oven and roast for 30–40 minutes or until tender and slightly caramelised around the edges. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- While the squash is cooking, scatter the almonds on a baking tray and place in the oven to roast for 5 minutes, tossing halfway through. Remove the nuts from the oven and chop very roughly with a knife.
- Meanwhile, pour the water or stock into a saucepan on a medium heat and bring to the boil. Add the quinoa and some salt and pepper, then reduce the heat to low, cover with a lid and cook for 10–12 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed and the quinoa is just tender.
- When the quinoa is cooked, place in a large bowl with the roasted squash, chopped nuts, feta and parsley. Mix everything together, taste for seasoning, adding more salt and pepper if necessary, and serve either warm or at room temperature.
More by Rachel Allen:
- Fennel, pink grapefruit and feta salad
- Chocolate Pear Tart: Rachel Allen Coastal Cooking
- Roast Goose, stuffing: Rachel's Coastal Cooking