- 40 g (11/2oz) butter
- 350 g (12oz) spinach leaves (stalks discarded), washed and shredded
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 200 g (7oz) rashers of rindless streaky bacon, cut into roughly 2cm (3/4in) chunks
- 8 eggs
- 175 ml (6fl oz) single or regular cream
- 100 g (31/2oz) gruyère cheese, grated
- 25 cm (10in) diameter ovenproof frying pan
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F), Gas mark 6.
- Place the frying pan on a medium heat, add 15g (1/2oz) of the butter and the spinach leaves, season with salt and pepper and stir over the heat until the spinach wilts. Drain the spinach (see Leftovers below) and set aside.
- Place the pan back on the heat and add the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the bacon pieces and cook for 5–10 minutes or until lightly browned. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon (keeping any fat in the pan) to the spinach.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with the cream and grated cheese. Mix in the spinach and bacon and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the pan back on the heat and add the remaining butter. When the butter is melted and foaming, pour in the egg and cheese mixture and turn the heat down to low. Cook for 3–4 minutes or until the frittata is a light golden colour underneath, then place in the oven and cook for 8–10 minutes or until golden on top and just set in the centre. Slide onto a warmed plate and cut into slices to serve. It can be served hot or at room temperature.