Kevin Dundon shares his recipe for this delicious dessert
- for the spiced apple jelly
- 600 ml unsweetened cloudy apple juice (us apple cider)
- 100ml cider (us hard cider)
- 2 tsp five spice seasoning
- 3 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp agar
- for the yogurt mousse
- 225 g (1 cup) natural (plain) yogurt
- 125 ml (. cup) water
- 4 tblsp caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 tsp agar
- 300 ml cream, lightly whipped
- nutmeg or ground cinnamon, for sprinkling
- First, make the jelly (gelatin). In a saucepan, bring the apple juice, cider, five spice, cloves and cinnamon to the boil. Boil, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until the juice has reduced to about 500ml (2 cups). Remove the pan from the heat and leave the mixture to cool for 15 minutes.
- Strain the cooled mixture through a muslin-lined sieve or cheesecloth-lined strainer into a clean saucepan. Place the pan on the hob or stove and sprinkle in the agar.
- Bring the mixture to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer very gently for 2 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Pour the mixture into 4 glasses or ramekins and allow it to cool. Then place the glasses in the refrigerator to chill the jelly for at least 2 hours.
- In the meantime, make the mousse. Place the yogurt in a bowl and whisk it until it is smooth.
- In a small saucepan, combine the water, sugar and agar and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring once or twice. Then, working quickly, whisk the hot mixture into the yogurt. Add the whipped cream and whisk just until combined. Put the mousse in a piping or pastry bag, if you have one, or bowl, and place this in the refrigerator to chill for at least 2 hours.
- Pipe or spoon a dollop of mousse onto each jelly and sprinkle with freshly grated nutmeg or cinnamon.
Kevin says, "You will find agar in pharmacies or specialized cook shops. If you’ve never used it before, bear in mind that it needs to be heated to be effective."
More by Kevin Dundon:
- Saturday Brunch: Crêpes Suzette with Strawberries
- Chocolate Chip Cookies: Just Add Milk!
- Strawberry and Banana Iced Lolly Pops