Kevin Dundon shares his dish that is as rich and luxurious as it sounds - perfect for a special occasion.
- 2 lobsters, about 750g (1lb) each
- 250 g (1. cups) mashed potato
- 50 g (4 tbsp) butter
- juice of 1 lemon
- For the dalkey mustard cream sauce:
- 40 g (3 tbsp) butter, cubed
- 1 tsp dalkey mustard (or use wholegrain mustard)
- 4 tblsp white wine
- 100 ml double (heavy) cream
- 1 tblsp chopped chives
- salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 240oC/475oF/gas mark 9.
- Cook the lobster in boiling salted water for 2–3 minutes, then plunge into cold water to stop the cooking process. Place the lobster onto a chopping board and lay it on its front and cut in half lengthways. Remove the head meat and pink coral and discard.
- Crack the lobster claws with a heavy knife or cleaver, then lay them shell-side down in a roasting dish. Pipe or spoon some mashed potato into the head cavity.
- Melt half the butter in a small saucepan over a moderate heat and add the lemon juice. Pour over the lobster tail and potato. Place in the oven and bake for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the Cream Sauce.
- Melt 20g (1. tbsp) of the butter in a small frying pan, add the mustard and stir to combine.
- Pour in the white wine, bring to the boil and then allow the sauce to reduce by half.
- Pour in the cream, stir to combine and cook until the sauce further reduces and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from the heat when the sauce reaches coating consistency.
- Add the chives and season with salt and pepper to taste
- Add the remaining butter and swirl through the sauce until it gets a lovely glossy finish.
- If the sauce splits, add a little more cream to rescue it.
- Remove the lobster from the oven, drizzle the cream over the top of the meat and serve immediately.
More by Kevin Dundon:
- Salmon Fillet, Chili Pesto: Today, Kevin Dundon
- Indulgent Eggnog: What it is & how to make it!
- Kevin Dundon's Christmas Turkey: Today Show