Mussels are available all year 'round from most good fishmongers. They are a quick and easy meal, be it as a starter to share at a dinner party or a main course, served with home-cut chips. They are also very reasonably priced, with a kilo costing around €4.00. Be sure to only use mussels that are fully closed prior to cooking and discard any unopened ones if they have not opened during the cooking process.
- 1 kg mussels
- ½ grated carrot
- Leek (optional)
- Diced onion
- Cider - this can be replaced with apple juice if recipe is being cooked for children
- Seasoning (salt and pepper, as required)
- Soften the finely chopped onion in a hot pan with a dash of oil.
- Add grated carrot and sweat for 1 minute, add the cider then throw in the mussels. Cover with a lid and simmer for approximately 2 minutes.
- Toss the mussels with a large spoon to ensure all have been coated in the juices.
- Serve in a large bowl in the centre of the table for all to savour. Homemade chips would be a nice side accompaniment.