A delicious treat for breakfast or brunch.
- For the Pancakes:
- 300g plain flour, sieved
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 3 large eggs
- 400ml buttermilk
- 40g melted butter
- Sunflower oil, for frying
- For the Compote:
- 200g of mixed berries (frozen or fresh if in season)
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- Zest of half a lemon
- Optional Toppings:
- Crème fraîche
- Flaked almonds toasted on dry pan
- Maple syrup
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and buttermilk.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the egg mixture, whisking continuously until blended into a smooth, thick mixture.
- Leave to rest in the fridge for at least half an hour.
- While the batter is resting, you can get on with your compote!
- Put the berries, sugar and lemon zest in a frying pan on a low heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Leave for approximately 5 minutes until the berries have softened and are soaked in a syrup.
- Back to the pancakes: after the batter has rested and just before cooking, stir in the melted butter.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on a medium heat and drop in one ladle of the mixture per pancake (3 pancakes per batch).
- Leave on a medium heat for approximately 2 minutes until small bubbles start to appear on the pancakes then flip and leave for another 2/3 minutes.
- Serve with lashings of berry compote, a dollop of crème fraîche, a sprinkling of toasted almonds and lather in maple syrup! Enjoy!