An unusual twist on the traditional chocolate cake, but every bit as indulgent!
- 140g stale breadcrumbs
- 300ml milk
- 200g dark chocolate (70% cocoa content)
- 80g butter
- 5 eggs, separated
- 180g caster sugar
- 100g ground almonds, plus 1 tbsp for dusting
- Cocoa powder for dusting, to decorate
- Chocolate shavings, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (Fan 160°C/Gas 4).
- Butter an 18cm round tin and butter and dust with 1 tbsp of almonds.
- Place the breadcrumbs in a large bowl. Heat the milk until just boiling and pour over the breadcrumbs. Allow to soak for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate and butter over a bain marie.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks and gradually add the sugar and whisk until light and fluffy. Fold in the melted chocolate and butter mixture and add the soaked breadcrumbs and the ground almonds.
- In a spotlessly clean, dry bowl, whisk the egg whites to the stiff peak stage, then fold into the chocolate breadcrumb mixture.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for about 40 to 45 minutes, until set. The texture of this cake is fairly moist. Allow to cool in the tin for 15 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.
- When cooled, place on a serving platter, dust with cocoa powder and decorate with chocolate shavings.
More by Catherine Fulvio:
- A Day with Catherine Fulvio
- Pavlova: Summer Strawberries, Basil Drizzle
- Catherine Fulvio's Courgette, Feta and Chive Tart