Say goodbye to the sauce jar!
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp tomato purée
- 3 chicken breasts, diced in 4cm pieces
- 150ml coconut milk
- 1cm root ginger, grated
- 4 tblsp ground almonds
- 150ml chicken stock (or more if required)
- For the Yellow Rice:
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 tblsp chopped shallots
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1½ tsp cups of basmati rice, well rinsed
- 2¼ cups of chicken stock
- ½ tsp turmeric (measure carefully)
- Heat the oil in a deep saucepan or wok, and add the onion, garlic and chilli and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes over a medium heat without browning.
- Stir in the turmeric, cumin, coriander, garam masala, salt and tomato purée.
- Add the diced chicken to the pan and sauté over a low heat for 4 minutes.
- Pour in the coconut milk and ginger and add the ground almonds.
- Stir in the chicken stock and simmer for 7-8 minutes, until the chicken is just tender. Serve with yellow rice.
- For the yellow rice, heat oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallot and garlic and sauté until just beginning to brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add rice, stock, salt, and turmeric. Bring the rice to boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed – this should take about 18 minutes.
More by Catherine Fulvio:
- Margherita Pizza, Parma Ham & Rocket: Fulvio
- A Day with Catherine Fulvio
- Pavlova: Summer Strawberries, Basil Drizzle