- For the Béchamel Sauce:
- 50g butter
- 50g flour
- 250ml full fat milk
- Parmesan, Gruyère or any nice and fruity cheese
- Lemon zest and a splash of juice
- Mustard, to taste
- We start off with a basic roux, which is the classic base for all white sauces. Melt the butter in a pan and stir in the flour, mixing gently over the heat. When it is thoroughly mixed, pour in the milk, whisking all the time. When it is thickened up in the pan, you add the flavouring.
- First up is some really good cheese - Parmesan, Gruyère, in fact anything nice and fruity, which melts down easily. Grate that into the mix, and then for a bit of zing, add some lemon zest and perhaps a bit of lemon juice. Finish it off with some nice grainy mustard as you stir the mixture over a gentle heat.
- Meanwhile, the croissants have been toasted to liven them up a little bit. Spread the mixture generously over the croissants, grating a little cheese over the top, and pop it under the grill until the cheese is nice and brown. And that's it!