Paul Flynn shares his take on the classic Beans on Toast!
- 1 glug of olive oil
- 1 knob of butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 sticks of celery, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 4 thick slices of smoked bacon, diced
- 1 tin butterbeans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tin red kidney beans
- 1 tblsp tomato purée
- 300mls of chicken stock
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tblsp of maple syrup
- 1 sprig of thyme
- Heat the oil over a gentle heat and add the garlic.
- Carefully cook until golden, but no more: this will give you a roasted garlic oil. If you take it too far, the garlic will burn.
- Add the butter, bacon, celery, thyme and onions.
- Cook slowly for 15 minutes and add the tomato purée, smoked paprika and chicken stock.
- Finally add the beans.
- Cook for 5 more minutes, stir in the maple syrup, salt and pepper and serve.
More by Paul Flynn:
- Lunch all Wrapped Up: Fresh Mackerel Wraps
- Pan Fried Monkfish, Creamy Brandade: Today show
- Bacon, onion, potato and sour cream tart/pizza