It's very easy to make your own...
- For the Falafels:
- 1/2lb of uncooked chickpeas
- 60g of fresh parsley
- 60g of fresh coriander
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 Spanish onion
- 2 generous pinches of ground cumin, coriander and sweet paprika
- 4 tblsp plain flour
- 1tsp of baking powder
- Sunflower oil for deep frying
- For the Dip:
- 4 tblsp good quality mayonnaise
- 1tsp of Harissa (North African chilli paste - can be found in most supermarkets or Middle Eastern stores)
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Soak chickpeas in cold water overnight and rinse before use. If you do not have the chance, don't panic - use two cans of rinsed chickpeas.
- In a food processor, blend the chickpeas, herbs, garlic, onion and spices.
- If you decide to make the falafel batch in advance, now is the time to freeze the mixture.
- If you are using canned chickpeas add 1 egg to help bind the mixture.
- Add the flour, baking powder and mix.
- Heat enough oil in a saucepan on a medium to high heat (or use a deep fryer) for deep frying.
- Meanwhile, shape the mixture into small discs. If you find they are not binding, add a little more flour.
- To check the oil is ready for frying, drop in a small amount of the mixture. If it sizzles and rises to the top, it is ready to cook!
- Gently place the falafels into the oil but do not overcrowd the saucepan as this will bring down the temperature of the oil and they will not cook properly! Nobody likes greasy, soggy falafels!
- Leave until golden brown and strain on kitchen paper to absorb any excess oil.
- For the Dip, mix all three ingredients in a bowl. Depending on your taste, add more or less Harissa. It's incredibly spicy, so be warned!
- Serve with falafels, warmed pitta breads or tortilla wraps, some salad leaves, plain yoghurt and devour! Heaven!
More by Samara Cherrabi:
- American Pancakes with a Fruit Compote
- Crispy Fish Goujons with Zingy Fennel and Apple Salad and a Lemon and Dill Dip