This is a really simple and straightforward main dish, which can be spiced and dressed up a million ways.
- 4 tblsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 tsp chopped thyme
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1.5cm dice
- 7 eggs, free-range and organic if possible
- 1 tsp chopped parsley
- 100g diced cooked ham
- 50g frozen peas
- 50g freshly grated Parmesan
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in an ovenproof frying pan. Add the onions and thyme and sauté on a low heat for 7–10 minutes, until the onions are soft and slightly caramelised. Add the diced potatoes and cook over a medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, lift the onions and potatoes from the pan and discard the remaining oil.
- In a bowl, mix together the eggs, parsley, hams, peas, Parmesan, salt and pepper. Gently stir in the onions and potatoes until they are all coated with the egg mixture.
- Wipe out the pan with kitchen paper and heat the remaining 2 tbsp oil. Add the egg and potato mixture to the pan and cook over a very low heat, until the egg begins to set. To prevent the frittata from sticking, use a metal spatula to lift it and allow the uncooked egg to run underneath.
- Preheat the grill to a medium heat. Once the frittata has set around the edges but is still unset in the middle, transfer under the grill for about 5 minutes, until the centre is set and golden.
- To remove it from the pan, place a plate over the frying pan and invert the pan. The frittata should just pop onto the plate (take care, as the pan will be very hot). Cut into wedges and serve garnished with thyme and serve with buttered broccoli.
More by Catherine Fulvio:
- A Day with Catherine Fulvio
- Pavlova: Summer Strawberries, Basil Drizzle
- Catherine Fulvio's Courgette, Feta and Chive Tart