If you ever needed proof that something incredibly delicious can be made in a very short amount of time, then this salad is just that! Packed with punchy heat from the chorizo and salty squidginess from the halloumi, this little dish is full of wonderful things to keep you interested, even if you have very little time to make dinner. Speed up this recipe by buying sun-blushed tomatoes instead of roasting them yourself.
- 300g cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 1 tblsp balsamic vinegar
- 100g chorizo sausage, cut into chunky discs
- 200g halloumi cheese, cut into 1cm thick slices
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tblsp cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 Baby Gem lettuce, leaves separated
- 200g chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F), Gas Mark 6. Toss the tomatoes in a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar and place in a roasting tin. Roast in the oven for about 35 minutes until they have shrunk and become caramelised.
- Meanwhile, dry fry the chorizo in a frying pan over a high heat until the discs are sizzling and coloured. Remove them from the pan using a slotted spoon and place on a plate lined with kitchen paper. Save the oil the chorizo has produced in the pan.
- Place the frying pan back over the heat. Add a drop of olive oil if required and then fry the halloumi slices on both sides until they have a nice golden colour.
- To make a dressing for the salad, pour the lemon juice into a bowl, then add the cider vinegar and garlic. Season with sea salt and ground black pepper and whisk to combine.
- In a large bowl, toss together the Baby Gem lettuce leaves with the dressing, chickpeas, chorizo and red onion and transfer to serving plates. Top with the halloumi slices and roasted cherry tomatoes and serve straight away.
More by Donal Skehan:
- Brioche French Toast with Berries and Nutella
- Moroccan Chickpea Burgers: Lunch/Dinner sorted
- Roast Chicken: Donal Skehan style