True comfort food in a matter of minutes; that's what this dish is all about. Crispy chicken in a white wine sauce with wonderful braised greens and a pop of zesty citrus freshness; it really doesn't get better than that for a speedy midweek supper.
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 100g smoked streaky bacon, roughly chopped
- 6–8 boneless chicken thighs, with skin on
- 1 tblsp butter
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 75ml white wine
- A few thyme sprigs
- 50ml chicken stock
- 200g frozen peas
- 6 spring onions, trimmed and sliced in half
- 4 Baby Gem lettuce, sliced in half
- Heat the oil in a large high-sided frying pan over a high heat. Add the bacon and fry until crisp.
- Then add the chicken thighs and fry on each side until they are also golden and crisp.
- Add the butter and allow it to foam, then stir in the lemon zest and fry it in the butter.
- Pour in the wine and allow to sizzle for about 30 seconds before adding the thyme sprigs and chicken stock.
- Add the peas to the liquid and then nuzzle in the spring onions and Baby Gem lettuce.
- Cover with a lid and cook for about 10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Serve straight away as it is or with a little rice to stretch the meal.