Romesco is a fantastic Spanish pepper and nut sauce or salsa, which is a wonderful addition to grilled meat or fish. There are many variations, but essentially you are looking for a sweet, spiky, smoky relish. It's a super accompaniment to my butterflied chicken breasts and steamed greens.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 rosemary sprigs, leaves picked and finely chopped
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- 150g tender stem broccoli
- 150g mangetout
- For the Romesco Sauce
- 50g blanched almonds, toasted
- 50g skinless hazelnuts, toasted
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 6 tblsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tblsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 slice of stale white bread, torn up (crusts are perfect)
- ½ red onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 large tomato, peeled, deseeded and chopped
- 90g roasted red peppers from a jar
- Good handful of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Place the chicken breasts on a clean chopping board and, using a sharp knife, slice horizontally across each breast, but not the whole way across so the breasts can be opened like a book.
- Whisk the olive oil, garlic, lemon zest and chopped rosemary together with some sea salt and ground black pepper in a bowl. Add the breasts and baste with the marinade. Leave to sit while you prepare the rest of the dish.
- Cook the broccoli in a steamer over a little water for 3–4 minutes until tender, then add the mangetout and steam for another minute.
- Prepare the romesco sauce by placing all the ingredients in a food processor and blitzing until they are combined but still have texture. Season with sea salt and ground black pepper.
- Place a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the chicken and fry for 2–3 minutes on either side until cooked all the way through. Serve the chicken with the romesco sauce and the steamed vegetables.
More by Donal Skehan:
- Donal Skehan's Fish & Chips recipe
- My Perfect Scrambled Eggs
- Brioche French Toast with Berries and Nutella