Anyone who has ever travelled to Thailand will remember the wonderful balance of flavours from sweet to salty and spicy to smoky. I like to think this salad captures all of these. There are so many wonderful textures and flavours from the roasted nuts, fresh crunchiness from the vegetables and then super sweet heat from the chilli and ginger dressing. This makes a really exciting midweek dinner.
- 250g rice vermicelli noodles
- 3 Baby Gem lettuce, leaves separated
- 2 large carrots, peeled and finely sliced
- ½ cucumber, peeled lengthways into ribbons
- 6 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
- 60g salted roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
- Large handful of coriander leaves
- Large handful of mint leaves
- Large handful of basil leaves
- For the Chilli and Ginger Dressing
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tblsp caster sugar
- 1 tblsp light soy sauce
- 2 tblsp Thai fish sauce (Nam Pla)
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
- 1 thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- Soak the noodles in a bowl of boiling water according to the packet’s instructions until they are tender. Drain the noodles, rinse under cold water and set aside.
- For the dressing, whisk together the lime juice and caster sugar in a large mixing bowl until it has dissolved. Add the soy sauce, fish sauce, chilli and ginger and mix through.
- Then add the noodles, vegetables, peanuts and fresh herbs. Toss to combine and then serve.
More by Donal Skehan:
- Donal Skehan's Creme Brulee Doughnuts
- Butterscotch Pudding: One for the grown ups!
- Treacle Beef Ribs, Cheesy Polenta: Donal Skehan