Peanut butter fans will know that there is only one thing better than the sweet nutty spread itself and that can only be peanut butter cookies. These oaty peanut butter cookies are sandwiched with a smooth, sweetened nutty filling.
- 150g caster sugar
- 120g light soft brown sugar
- 50g crunchy peanut butter
- 175g butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 200g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 250g rolled oats
- For the Filling
- 250g crunchy peanut butter
- 100g butter, softened
- 150g icing sugar, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F), Gas Mark 4 and line two large baking sheets with baking parchment.
- Using a standing food mixer or an electric hand-held mixer, cream the two sugars, peanut butter, butter and vanilla extract in a bowl until they are pale and smooth. Add the eggs, one by one, mixing well after each addition so the mix doesn’t split.
- Little by little, mix in the flour and bicarbonate of soda until they are completely incorporated. Using a spatula, fold through the oats until combined.
- Place 40 heaped tablespoons of the mixture on the baking sheets and bake for about 15 minutes until golden brown. You may need to swap the trays halfway through the cooking time to get an even colour on the cookies.
- Remove the trays from the oven and allow to cool slightly before transferring the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the filling, beat together the peanut butter, butter and icing sugar in a bowl until blended. Add about a heaped tablespoon of the mixture to the flat side of 20 of the cooled cookies and then sandwich together with the remaining cookies. Enjoy with a glass of milk!
More by Donal Skehan:
- Sunday Brunch: Fridge Leftovers Frittata
- Donal Skehan's Fish & Chips recipe
- My Perfect Scrambled Eggs