This slightly unusual rough and ready pie uses crème fraîche and raspberries as its filling and makes a wonderful summer-time dessert.
- 225g plain flour
- 125g caster sugar
- 125g cold butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 250g raspberries
- 200ml crème fraîche
- Handful of raspberries, to decorate
- Small handful of mint sprigs, to decorate
- Vanilla ice cream, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F), Gas Mark 7 and line a 23cm diameter baking tin with a removable base with baking parchment.
- Pulse together the flour, sugar, butter, vanilla extract and baking powder in a food processor, adding 1–2 tablespoons of cold water until it forms a dough. Press the dough into the prepared baking tin and pop in the fridge to rest for 30 minutes.
- Mix together the raspberries and crème fraîche in a bowl and then spread them over the base of the pie. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, then lower the heat to 150°C (300°F), Gas Mark 2 and bake for a further 15 minutes until the pastry is cooked through and lightly golden.
- Allow to cool, decorate with raspberries and mint sprigs and serve slices with vanilla ice cream.
More by Donal Skehan:
- Brioche French Toast with Berries and Nutella
- Moroccan Chickpea Burgers: Lunch/Dinner sorted
- Roast Chicken: Donal Skehan style