Its the weekend and what better way to stave off those inevitable hangovers with a good old hearty breakfast. Boxty is still my favourite breakfast of all time, I love it! I make it often enough but it will never be as delicious as my dads recipe! Top with a fried egg and maybe a piece of grilled bacon and you are set!
- 1 kg potatoes
- 120 g flour
- 250-300ml milk
- pinch salt
- pinch white pepper
- Peel and grate the potatoes. Squeeze out excess water. Place in a bowl and add the flour.
- Add the milk gradually (as you may not need it all) and mix until it is thick (but still holding a creamy consistency)
- Add the salt and pepper and mix well.
- Place 1 tsp oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, add a ladle of Boxty mix and spread out to a thin layer. Lightly cook each side and place aside.
- To eat you need to cook again, add a knob of butter to the pan and fry until golden brown on each side (about 5 minutes) Top with a fried egg and enjoy!
This Boxty can be frozen in batches, just make sure you pop a little piece of greaseproof paper in between them to ensure they don't freeze together.