This is my favourite burger recipe. Just the smell of them grilling drives my senses wild. The black pudding gives the perfect amount of fat to the burger and fantastic flavour, so there's no need for extra salt and pepper. There are five optional toppings, which you can serve all at once if you like!
- 500 g steak mince
- 280 g black pudding
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- burger buns, to serve
- Mix the mince, black pudding and diced onion together with clean, wet hands, but don’t overhandle. Shape into 4 firm, round burger patties. Cover and chill in the fridge for 1 hour to firm up.
- Cook under the grill, on a pan or ideally a BBQ. Cook evenly on both sides for 8–10 minutes, until cooked through.
- Serve in a lightly toasted bun with a topping of your choice.
- Bacon, avocado and blue cheese: Add crispy rashers, slices of ripe avocado and Cashel Blue cheese.
- Pickled cucumber: Thinly slice 1 large cucumber and place in a heatproof bowl. Put 125ml (1/2 cup) white wine vinegar, 1 clove of peeled garlic, 1 bay leaf, 2 tablespoons fresh chopped dill, 2 teaspoons sugar, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon mustard seeds in a small pot and bring to the boil. Pour the pickling mixture over the cucumbers, allow to cool and serve.
- Pickled or roasted beetroot: Grate fresh, peeled, raw beetroot into a bowl. Cover generously with balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Add a few fresh rosemary sprigs and allow to ‘pickle’ for 20 minutes.
- Blue cheese mayonnaise: Mash together 1 clove of crushed garlic, 4 tablespoons mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon blue cheese and freshly ground black pepper.
- Horseradish crème fraîche: Mix 4 tablespoons crème fraîche with 1 clove of crushed garlic, 1 tablespoon horseradish sauce, a good squeeze of lemon juice and some salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Versions of black pudding appear in several different cuisines, not just Ireland’s. Black pudding is often served as a breakfast item, but it’s equally delicious served with scallops, in warm salads and as a stuffing. I favour traditional artisan producers and unique recipes like smoked black pudding.
More by Rozanne Stevens:
- Monica's Berry Baileys Meringue Roulade
- Monica's Magic Molten Chocolate Pudding
- Norman's Butterflied Leg of Lamb with Lively Salsa