A breakfast favourite at our bed and breakfast in Doolin. It a lovely balance of sweet and sour.
- 6 cup (1500 ml/ 3 pints) granny smith apples peeled and chopped. (about 1 inch in size)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) apple juice (or cider)
- dash of lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Combine all ingredients in a large, heavy saucepan. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes or until apple is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Let stand 5 minutes
Do not over cook the apple.